Thank you for taking the time to find out more about this exciting role as Assistant Principal at Ark Evelyn Grace Academy. We are delighted that you are considering joining our academy at such an exciting stage in our development. Ark Evelyn Grace Academy is a mixed, non-selective, 11-18 secondary school in Lambeth. The Academy opened in 2008 and moved into its award-winning building on Shakespeare Road in 2010. Evelyn Grace Academy was judged as ‘good’ by OFSTED in 2017.
In September 2017, I took over as Principal, having previously co-founded an ‘outstanding’ ARK school in North London: Ark Academy. I will work with staff at Evelyn Grace to secure its position as the school of choice in the local community. Together we will ensure that students secure the highest possible standards so they can go on and compete for the very best positions in their chosen career.
We believe education is transformational. That is why what we do matters and why we are always seeking to improve our practice. As a Senior Leader with key responsibilities you will join me and together we will shape and develop our academy, and thereby realise our ambitions in building an outstanding school.
At Evelyn Grace Academy we believe that all our students can achieve excellence, no matter what their background and that they all deserve the very best teachers and resources to help them secure the very best qualifications. Accordingly, the Academy offers a rigorous curriculum and a broad enrichment programme for students at all key stages.
We are seeking to appoint a dedicated and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about education as a means of transforming people’s lives. Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record of outstanding teaching and securing excellent outcomes on a whole school level. They will have either expertise in, or a desire to learn about designing and embedding rigorous curriculum and assessment practices across an academy.
The successful applicant will be a strong team player fully aligned to the Academy’s ethos of high academic expectation and aspiration for all. They will want to be part of body of teachers that work tirelessly to help our students develop the sort of qualities that will help them flourish and succeed in life.
As a member of Evelyn Grace and the ARK network, you will receive the sort of coaching, training and development opportunities that will help you become the very best that you can be.
For further information and to apply please visit our website: evelyngraceacademy.org/vacancies and complete your application by Friday 18th May at 11.00 am. Interviews will be on Thursday 24th May2018. Suitable applicants may be called to interview in advance of the deadline for submission of applications.
For any queries relating to your application, please contact our HR advisor on 0207 737 7532 or email@example.com
I wish you all the best in your application.
Job Description: Assistant Principal
Reports to: Principal
Start date: September 2018
Salary: L 12- 16, Inner London, (£59,085 - £64,524)
The person appointed will be responsible for curriculum, assessment and data. The candidate will further develop an already rigorous and robust curriculum and assessment system. This will enable students to become assessment proficient and so able to attain the highest possible standards as a result of being knowledgeable and passionate about every subject they study. As a member of the senior leadership team the appointed candidate will also be responsible for the overall leadership and management of the academy in the pursuit of the highest possible standards.
Curriculum & Assessment
- Leadership of curriculum analysis and forward planning
- Leadership and management of timetabling
- Leadership and management of student data (tracking and analysis) and target setting and review
- Line management of key departments and school services and responsibility for their outcomes
- Support training where appropriate
Outcomes & Activities
Leadership and Management: Curriculum & Assessment
- The management of a robust tracking system at all levels from the individual student to the whole academy
- The development of the system to enhance teachers’ ability to use this data to support assessment and learning
- The production of detailed analysis of academy data in a variety of ways and for different purposes
- The delivery of ongoing training to ensure that all staff make the best use of available data
- To work with the other members of the senior team to enhance staff and students use of tracking and target setting data to aid students improvement
- Use of data to set appropriate targets from individual students to subject to year group
- Work with ARK assessment leads to ensure best practice is followed.
Leadership of curriculum planning and timetabling
- Review with Principal and SLT curriculum models to ensure best provision suitable to needs of all Key Stages and individual cohorts
- Write the timetable in an efficient time-orientated matter using latest software packages
- Analysis of staffing costs of different models
- Helping prepare for timetabling process by assessing staffing requirements as a result of curriculum or pupil changes against current staffing
- Line manage the data manager and enable them to work to the best of their ability
- Preparing, annually, the analysis of the curriculum based on the current timetable and explaining its significance to relevant personnel, ARK and Local Governing Body
- Dealing with issues emerging from timetabling, including setting new timetables for pupils and any other administrative outcome of timetabling
Line Management and leadership of staff
- As a member of the senior leadership team to undertake the effective line management of aspects of the Academy, including departments
- Lead and undertake rigorous performance management and review progress
- Help set challenging objectives in line with team and Academy goals
- Ensure professional development needs are met and disseminate strategies that support staff in their work.Leadership of vision and strategy delivery including
- Secure outstanding outcomes across all phases
- Helping implement overall Ark Academy Improvement Plan and take a lead on key aspects
- Evaluate impact of areas you lead and incorporate into the school evaluation form (SEF)
- Instilling an ethos of high expectations for behaviour and achievement of all students
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal
- Other professional duties as set down in the ARK schools pay and conditions of service document.
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Principal and as set out in Ark Schools Pay and conditions of service document.
Person Specification: Assistant Principal
- Qualified to degree level and above
- Qualified to teach and work in the UK
- Evidence of further professional development
- Experience at Assistant Principal or middle leadership level (or equivalent)
- Experience of having worked successfully in at least one school or academy in an urban, multi-cultural setting, teaching students from backgrounds of socio-economic disadvantage
- Experience of having led, or significantly contributed to, the success of a school or academy through its leadership, ethos, teaching and learning and results
- Experience of having improved and operationalized an effective teaching and learning or assessment policy
- Experience of developing the teaching of learning of other teachers
- Experience of timetabling or curriculum design
Teaching & Learning
- Able to work in close harmony with the Principal
- Effective management style that encourages participation, innovation and confidence
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate staff within a performance management framework, including professional development and effective management of underperformance
- Ability to develop the leadership skills of others
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Takes personal responsibility for their own actions
- Resilience and motivation to lead the academy through day-to-day challenges while maintaining a clear strategic vision and direction
- Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every student
- Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
Vision & Strategy
- Vision aligned with the academy’s high aspirations and high expectations of self and others
- Understands how to set high aspirations and effective strategies for their areas of responsibility within the overall academy including delivery and prioritization of small school leadership management that faces all aspects of curriculum, learning, administration, finance and communication
- Clear understanding of the strategies to establish consistently high standards of behaviour in an inner-city academy and commitment to relentlessly instilling these strategies. Strong organizational skills and ability to delegate
- Use of data to inform and diagnose weaknesses that need addressing
Leading the Learning
- Understands what outstanding teaching practice looks like, how to diagnose and implement effective strategies to raise learning standards
Leading external relationships
- Can skillfully manage and maintain effective relationships with parents and other stakeholders
- Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
- Willingness to undertake training
- This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check